Many people ask us, “How long does it take to replace a roof?” Of course, we can give you an average, but the time it takes to replace a roof can vary by several factors.
There isn’t a one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to determining the length of time it’ll take professionals to replace your roof. For optimal conditions and an average size home, we can estimate that a new roof usually takes 1-3 days.
Factors That Determine Replacement Time
The factors that will determine the time it takes to replace a roof are:
- If the roofing is being replaced during cold weather, additional steps are necessary that require additional time.
- It’s also highly recommended not to replace roofing during rain or snow, as this type of weather can add to the time it takes to replace the roof.
- Cold weather can affect how the asphalt shingles stick and seal. According to Certainteed’s shingle installation bulletin, “Extra care should be taken when handling and/or installing asphalt shingles when the air and surface temperatures are at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.”
- Snow covered, wet or icy roofs make for hazardous and unsafe working conditions for our roofing crews. You can read tips from Certainteed here: Safety Tips from Certainteed
2. Roofing Materials and Design
- Shingles come in different materials. Each material requires a different method and time frame for installation.
- The most common shingle types and their average replacement times are:
- Asphalt Shingles – one to three days
- Wooden Shingles – six to eight days
- Slate Tiles – six to seven days
- Concrete Tiles – eight to nine days
- The design you want the shingles laid in will also affect how long it takes to replace your roof. Designs that are complex or intricate will require longer to install than a traditional horizontal formation.
3. Total House Size
- The larger your home is, the longer it will take to replace your roof. Replacing the roof of a small one-room cabin will be significantly faster than replacing the roof of a sprawling estate.
- In the roofing industry, roofers typically price roofing on a per square foot basis. 100 square feet is called a “roofing square”.
ROOFING MAINTENANCE REMINDER:
You’ll want to check your roof at least once a year. Besides an annual check, roofs need inspection after every major storm. Storms with large hail, lightning, high winds, tornadoes, or blizzards in the winter, can cause significant damage to your roof.
4. The Steepness of the Roof
- A roof that is too steep to walk across or one that materials and tools will slide off of, will require the installation of additional safety equipment for the roofing crew.
- A roof whose pitch is shallow enough to slow the runoff of water will require special underlayment so that water backups can’t penetrate the housing envelope. Either of these conditions will increase the length of time that it takes to install the new roof.
5. Historical Significance of Home
- Some older homes are listed as historical landmarks. These homes require additional time and care to ensure they maintain both their historical and structural integrity.
- Historical homes may also require special permits, depending on local regulations.
6. Accessibility of your Roof
- Some homes have lots of landscaping and rows of bushes which may make it difficult to access the roof.
- Dense urban areas, with other houses very close to your home, can make it difficult to get equipment in and out of the area.
- Lack of a paved drive and close parking.
7. Structural Damage
- If only the shingles need to be replaced, a roof replacement can be reasonably quick.
- If there’s structural damage to the roof deck, or other elements of the home beneath the shingles, additional repairs can significantly prolong the total project duration.
Do You Have More Questions About Roof Replacement?
A roof replacement project can vary between a single day and two weeks. Many different considerations will factor into the total project time. At Above Roofing, we make every effort to estimate the time it takes to replace a roof correctly.
If you have any additional questions about how long it takes to replace a roof, please contact us via our contact page or the phone number below.
Contact us today. We look forward to answering your questions! Our friendly office staff would be happy to schedule a free roof inspection for you if you have concerns about your roof. Call us at 616-663-7662.